Traces the history of the Greek language from the immediately postclassical or Hellenistic period to the present day. In particular, the historical roots of modern Greek internal bilingualism are traced. First published by Hutchinson in 1969, the work has been substantially revised and updated.
2. Greek in the Hellenistic world and the Roman empire
3. The Greek language in the early middle ages (6th century–1100);
4. The Greek Language in the later middle ages (1100–1453)
5. Greek in the Turkish period;
6. The development of the national language
7. The dialects of modern Greek;
Index of Greek words mentioned in the text